Don’t be fooled by the rather ordinary-looking facade, this co-cathedral is home to two original masterpieces by Caravaggio, a cornucopia of Flemish tapestries, ornately painted ceilings, nine rich chapels, many lavishly gilded features, and a polychrome marble floor painted with angels and skeletons.
For the first century of its existence, the church’s interior was modestly decorated. However, in the 1660s, Grand Master Raphael Cotoner ordered the redecoration of the interior so as to rival the churches of Rome. Calabrian artist Mattia Preti was in charge of the embellishment, and effectively completely transformed the interior in the Baroque style
This Roman Catholic co-cathedral in Valletta, Malta, is dedicated to Saint John the Baptist. It was built by the Order of St. John between 1572 and 1577.